Monday, April 18, 2011

Indecisive? Who, me?

I am my father's daughter.  While he is my ultimate hero, the most amazing role model and a fantastic man, I blame him for my lack of decision making prowess.  It's not his fault, though.  We come from a long line of flip flopping, option weighing second guessers.  Coming by it honestly doesn't make it any less frustrating, but at least it gives me a bit of comfort.

I think I have started five blogs in the last ten days. Probably three times that many in the last couple of months. And by started I mean that I have created them and named them and never made a single post.  Why? Because they weren't right.  I've been trying to figure out what single thing I could make a blog about that would include all the things I want to say.  What suddenly dawned on me while lying in bed this morning is that I don't want this blog to just be about my love of vintage or my weight loss or cooking or Etsy or working from home or any of the dozen other ideas I've had.

What I do want it to be about is me.  Me, the work in process, who is struggling to balance all of these things.  The woman who left her career 3 years ago, the career she had expected to retire from.  The woman who has some screwed up food addiction that she can't get a grip on. The woman who is trying to honor the memory of her grandmother while not becoming the hoarder she was with my love of all things vintage. The woman who is trying to make a living working from home, doing things she enjoys on her own timetable.  The woman who loves her husband, loves her family, loves her annoying cat and mentally challenged black lab, loves her amazing niece Kate and her yet unborn but equally amazing nephew Jackson.

So if you are going to follow this blog, expect something different all the time.  Some days I will be all business and I'll be sharing tips and tricks that I'm picking up along the way while I work to make my Etsy shops successful.  Other days I'll be lamenting about the entire bag of Grippos potato chips I've just eaten or rejoicing that I've actually worked out for a change.  There are a hundred things I'm working on simultaneously in my life and I will likely get to all of them eventually.

I will try to make this blog more about tips and ideas and less about ranting and raving, though that may happen from time to time.  It is in my nature to vent loudly and often but I'm trying to work on that.  It is also in my nature to be unnecessarily vulgar, but I am going to do my absolute best to refrain from that.  It's a bad habit, first of all, but more importantly I would like this blog to be something that people can follow without cringing.  I apologize in advance for the times I fail at these goals.

It seems incredibly arrogant to say, but I would like this to be of some value to the people who read it.  Even if the value comes from you pointing at me and saying "wow I'm not going to do anything that stupid."  I don't claim to know everything, or even very much for that matter.  But there is a lot to be said for sharing ones self in an honest manner.  I will get far more from this blog than you ever will, and hopefully you're ok with that.  Feel free to hold me accountable, call me an idiot, applaud or scream at me--anything you like.  I've been told I'm not great at taking criticism but I'd like to work on that as well.

So.  Here it is.  I'm sticking with this one.  I'm not making any more new blogs, this is it.  Seriously, I mean it this time.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! And the indecisive nature of this family is by far the worst trait I've had to endure...and seem to be taking on. What's with that?!!

    ReplyDelete